Sadly, there are still engineers out there who have no qualifications to work with gas who are still installing boilers. In recent months custodial sentences have been handed out to plumbers who claimed to be Gas safe registered and were not. They carried out work that was not to current standards and in one case dangerous. Please do not put your home and the ones you love at risk, always check that the engineer working on your gas installation is qualified and registered.
Do not accept a logo on a shirt or a vehicle as proof. Every gas Safe registered engineer has a gas safe card with his photograph on it. Ask to see it.
Well here we are again its September the kids are back at school, life in England is returning to some kind of normality, though not fully for many. Our thoughts turn once again to the yearly round of servicing heating systems before mother nature sneaks up on us with a cold snap.
The thought of strangers coming into your home to service boilers, solar thermal and solar PV and heat pumps is worrying. Not just for you but for the engineers concerned as well. Being Covid 19 Safe is as important to us as it is to you.
Insist that masks are worn by any engineer, that they have sanitised their hands and equipment. Where possible open all doors that an engineer will have to go through to complete his work.
Door handles and surfaces that the engineer touches should be sanitized once the work is complete.
Remain isolated from the engineer while he is working in your home.
Engineers will want the absolute minimal access to your installations and will require you to remain elsewhere in your home while they carry out the service.
If you have someone shielding or showing signs of illness in your home do not hesitate to cancel the appointment.
Have your gas appliances checked by a Gas Safe Registered engineer annually.
Do not accept a logo on a van or a shirt. A gas Safe registered engineer will have an ID card with his picture and registration number on it. A qualified gas engineer will not be offended if you ask to see it. If in doubt call Gas safe to verify the credentials of an engineer. Your life as well as that of your family, friends and neighbours could depend on it
It is illegal for unqualified individuals to carry out gas work.
Fit a CO2 monitor. If an appliance is not burning fuel efficiently it gives off Carbon Monoxide Gas. This is an odourless, colourless, tasteless, gas. Symptoms can present as a flu like cold.
Qualified Gas Engineers are a highly trained and heavily monitored group of people. They regularly undertake retraining and refresher courses to keep abreast of all the new regulations and innovations.
It is illegal for a none registered engineer to work on Gas installations and prosecutions are brought against those who flout the law.
Be sure your gas appliances are being properly installed and maintained. Check that the engineer in who’s hands you are placing the lives of your family as well as your neighbours is qualified and registered.
Do you have a gas fire that is vented into an old chimney?
Do you have adequate protection against birds dropping twigs etc. down the chimney?
Old fashioned chimney pots may be in keeping with your homes design but a fire that burns fossil fuel and is vented through an old fashioned chimney is a risk if it is not covered by a bird proof grill.
Chimney fires are on the rise and can cause considerable worry and concern as well as damage to your property and that of neighbours. Chimneys should be swept at least once a year, more often if you are burning wood. A bird proof cowl or grill should cover the chimney terminal.
The biggest concern of all is CO2 leaking back into your room. This is an odourless, colourless, tasteless killer. The symptoms present like a heavy cold or flu and as such the cause some times goes unnoticed.
Low Carbon Installations Ltd will tailor a quote to the requirements of your installation.
Solar Thermal panels are especially vulnerable to damage from freezing conditions. Glycol which is the liquid that transfers heat from your panels to your home contains an antifreeze. This liquid deteriorates over time and should it become too weak to cope with outside temperatures it could cause serious and expensive damage to your panels.
Solar Photovoltaic panels should be checked for damage to connections and the panels should be cleaned to maximise the benefits of clear, frosty, if shorter days.
Did you sort out a boiler service during the warmer weather, or did you, like so many others, bask in our glorious summer sunshine and forget all about it.
Now the weather is on the change, the nights are drawing in and all you want to do is feel warm and cosy. So if you’re about to turn on your heating take a moment to do some simple checks. If your gas appliance has a lazy yellow flame instead of a crisp blue flame, or there is soot or staining on or around the appliance, or if there is excess condensation in the room there could be a danger of CO2 gasses escaping into the room.
All gas appliances should be serviced once a year, and every home in which fossil fuel is burned to heat or cook etc. should have a CO2 alarm fitted.
Do not allow anyone who isn’t gas safe registered to service your appliances. The gas safe register was created to ensure that those who are members have undertaken regular and stringent training and Gas Safe engineers have to pass examinations every five years to maintain their qualification.
Insist on seeing the engineers Gas Safe Card which displays his photo. Do not accept a sticker on a van as proof.