Carbon Monoxide is a Killer

Carbon Monoxide is a Killer

Over 2000 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning were reported in the year 2016. The symptoms are very similar to flu, so the number of cases could be even higher in reality. Sadly cases of carbon monoxide poisoning are rising particularly among the young and the elderly. It is estimated that at least 50 people die each year.

 

Boilers and gas fires are not the only things that give off Carbon Monoxide.

Gas Cookers, some water heaters and space heaters can also pollute the air we breathe in our homes.

As our homes become more and more draft free due to the improvements in double and triple glazing and the insulation of walls and attics, it stands to reason that a lack of ventilation coupled with fossil fuel burning appliances that are not functioning correctly can cause a build-up of this dangerous gas.

Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas that builds up when fuels such as wood, gas and oil do not burn fully. Have your appliances checked regularly by a professional and fit a Carbon Monoxide Alarm. These come as a single purpose fitting or you can fit an alarm which detects smoke as well as carbon monoxide.

 

Stay Safe, fit an alarm, and have appliances serviced regularly.

Write a Reply or Comment